Sunday, March 16, 2008

BBQ Chicken Pizza

BBQ Chicken Pizza


I am a huge fan of BBQ Chicken Pizza. The BBQ Sauce, the onions, the cheese...what's not to love? However it's not the healthiest thing when you are trying to eat better. So here was my healthier at home version. This is more of a concept than a recipe. If you have everything already cooked (the chicken and onions) it makes a super quick dinner.

Instead of regular pizza crust I used a quick and easy Rollup. I found them at CostCo and they are HUGE for their 2 points (110/3/7). Very similar to Flatouts without the really chewy consistency.

Next for the sauce. Using just straight BBQ Sauce makes it really sweet. Mat discovered if you take a few TBSP of regular tomato sauce (or spaghetti sauce) and mix it with the BBQ Sauce it makes a less sweet yummy sauce. (I usually do about 3 to 1 ratio)

Next up onions! You all know how much I love my cooked onions. I used about 1/2 cup of cooked onions for this dish. I often have some caramelized onions in the fridge we love them so much.

If you don't know how to make them it's super simple. Just slice several large onions in half moons, put about 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium heat pan, add a pinch of salt and pepper and then let slowly cook, stirring occasionally until they are brown, soft and sweet. It will take about 20 minutes. YUM.

(My current lunch obsession this week has been roast beef and cheese sandwiches with dijonaise and onions.)

Chicken Breast - I often try to keep cooked chicken in the fridge for quick and easy meals, I can talk myself out of cooking something if I have to wait for it to thaw. I used about 3 oz on this pizza.

Cheese - I used 1 serving (1oz) of Kraft sharp 2% cheese. A tip I got from Roni is that if you use the fancy shredded cheese you feel like you get more bang for your buck. 2 points

Then just put in a 350 oven for about 10 minutes until the crust is crisp and the cheese is melty.

Rollup - 2 points
2 TBSP Sauce - .5 points
1/2 cup cooked onions - 1 point
3 oz cooked chicken breast - 3 points
Kraft 2% cheddar - 2 points

Total points - 8.5 for a massive pizza. Easily could be cut in half and shared. I served mine with my lasted side dish obsession Broccoli Slaw!

5 comments:

slicedgeek said...

Hell yeah, food blog! That looks amazingly good.

I need to make one myself! We can be food blog buddies.

JustMelanie said...

hey devin!

Glad you stopped by! I have been ejoying your recent posts on trying new things like tofu. But your cupcake ones are my favorite. YUM.

Caroline said...

What section are the Rollups in? I haven't seen those but have been looking for something like that to use for pizzas and other stuff. Are they in the refrigerated section?

Lauren P said...

That looks so good!!!!!

JustMelanie said...

Caroline, they were over on the shelves with all the bread.