Saturday, January 19, 2008

Pork Loin With Caramelized Onions

Mat and I love cooked onions. I was an onion hater as a kid but I am convinced I never had them slow cooked until they were as sweet as candy. (YUM!)

I was searching recipezaar for something to do with pork loin when I came across
Pork Loin With Caramelized Onions

This dish takes a little while to cook but is very quick to prep.

Pork Loin With Caramelized Onions

1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced (I did 2, next time I will do 3)
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 (1 lb) pork tenderloins
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

In a large skillet, cook onion and sugar in oil over medium-low heat until onion is tender and golden brown, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Place the pork in a 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with onion mixture.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.

Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.

--
To save time I cooked the onions earlier in the day and went ahead and put them on top of the seasoned pork and just kept the pan in the fridge until it was time to cook it for dinner.

While the pork was cooking I also threw my favorite easy organic trans fat free potatoes in the oven. (Alexia Oven Reds - Olive Oil, Parmesan & Roasted Garlic)

Add something green and dinner is done!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Melanie, this sounds terrific. I agree about the onions--the more, the better.
kayroll

Janice said...

I agree - sounds great.